Over 500 people worked as volunteers in our archives, giving over 42,000 hours of time to support our work throughout the West Midlands for 2014-2015.
It’s a big thrill being given the responsibility of caring for four hundred year old documents. Also, I’m very grateful to be learning new skills and ways of working.
I get a buzz from seeing something on the web and thinking, I helped put that there! I believe it is very important to make history available to all and, in a small way, I am helping to make this happen.
- Volunteers make a valuable contribution to archives and bring a wide range of talents and experience
- Volunteering can be a way for people to increase their skills, gain work experience or remain active during retirement
- Volunteers can help archives relate to community groups where there is little or no engagement at the moment
- Volunteers deserve to be properly supported and appreciated
- The recruitment, training and management of volunteers requires staff resource and skills